RE: A real solution

Jerry and all,

I am far from home so do not have the reference, but there was a special
edition of "Physics Today" dedicated to rad waste a couple years ago, I
believe in 1998.  We have discussed this series in the past.  I think John
Ahearn wrote the lead article.

Anyway, I recall a sidebar in one of the articles that discussed the
radiotoxicity with time issue, and included a graph similar to what you have
discussed.  You might try and dig it up, perhaps it referenced your work.

For the rest of you, I recall something similar to what Ruth has stated.
The long term problems were due to the ingrowth of particular daughters in
the decay chains, and not the uranium or plutonium isotopes.  I was
surprised by it also, but it made sense when I thought about it more.

Unfortunately, I will not be home for another week, so perhaps somebody else
can provide the "Physics Today" reference.

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP
Defense Programs, DOE
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own ...