Re: Iodine 131

----- Original Message -----
"Franz Schoenhofer" <schoenho@via.at> wrote
I-131 is very volatile,
> both in the elemental form and in the form of organic compounds like
> methyliodide, so it is more likely to escape and to be emitted from NPP,
> but gaseous effluents are usually treated by absorption and retention in
> order to minimize both iodine and noble gas emissions.

This reply remeinded me that increasing iodine concentration in reactor
coolant is an indicator of a fuel rod leaks.  There is also another fission
product that is a more sensitive fuel rod leak indicator, but I can't
remember its name, it starts with an "S".  If a large fuel rod leak has
occured, some of the fuel may "wash out" of the fuel rod.  In such a case,
some "washed out" fuel atoms "plate out" throughout the reactor and later a
small number of fissions occur throughout the reactor, outside the fuel
rods.  This changes the "background" iodine concentration for fuel leak
detection.

Don Kosloff dkosloff1@email.ms.com
2910 Main St, Perry OH.