Re: "Typical" radioisotopes in different institutions

At UC Irvine and UC Irvine Medical Center, we basically use about the same
radionuclides as Dave has listed below.  About 60% of our University
Research and Genetic Research use is P-32 (mostly nucleotides) and about
30% is S-35 (mostly amino acids and nucleotides).  I-125 use has been
declining for some years.

Because we have a PET center on campus, we use a lot of F-18 (1-2 Ci per
week) to produce a PET radiopharmaceutical for human diagnostic studies.
Note that labeling our exotic F-18 compound (NCQ115) is very inefficient,
and the half-life is very short, so most of the activity becomes waste
which decays away overnight.  We also use F-18 FDG for human studies which
we obtain already labeled, and in much smaller quantities, from the
commercial firm which operates our cyclotron and produces this specific
radiopharmaceutical for sale.

Frank E. Gallagher, III, CHP
Manager, Radiation Protection
Radiation Safety Officer
Environmental Health & Safety

University of California, Irvine  ||  EH&S Services Facility
4600 Bison Avenue  ||  Irvine, CA  92697-2725
Phone: (949) 824-6904  ||  Fax: (949) 824-8539
fegallag@uci.edu  ||  http://www.abs.uci.edu/depts/ehs/