RE: re a real solution

This explanation for the statement questioned in the original post about
spent fuel "being no more radioactive than the original unirradiated fuel in
about 300 years" provides a classic example of how factoids get distorted
during their propagation.  The radioactivity of unirradiated fuel is quite
different from that of the ore from which it was derived, and neither
reprocessing nor toxicity is mentioned in the quote above.  The quote above
not only lacks qualification with respect to any reprocessing option, but,
if derived from the source cited, would appear to have lost fidelity in any
case.  Consequently, it should be dispatched to the dust bin containing
other factoids such as the recently dispatched spousal-irradiation-from-K-40
factoid.

Bruce Heinmiller CHP
heinmillerb@aecl.ca