Re: Ring dosimeter problems

The dosimeter that Jim is referring to was the Vinton dosimeter, manufactured in England.  I believe there was an association with a U.S. company too.  The dosimeter was a pretty thin Teflon ribbon with TL material at the fingertips inmedded in a plastic sleeve (similar to a glove finger).  The company also provided sizes for small to extra large fingers.  They were sometimes inconvenient under gloves because the workers would pull off the gloves and the finger "sleeve" would stay in the glove.  We used to lose some in the trash this way.  I don't know if they are still in business.

Joe Nick (JLN@nrc.gov)
USNRC, Region I
610-337-5056

>>> james.g.barnes@att.net 08/23 12:56 PM >>>
Several years ago I remember seeing a finger dosimeter
that was embedded in a plastic finger sleeve that fit
over the top of the finger.  They were very flexible and
fairly strong.

I don't know if they were ever released commercially
(anybody know???), but if so, they might be a good
substitute for rings.

I have also seen bare Harshaw TLD chips mounted to
surgical gloves (light shielded with plastic, then taped
to the inside of a glove) used with some success, but
this is a real hassle to set up and won't work as a
routine programatic approach.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne/Boeing