RE: sentinel node

Title:

        The way we have our procedures set up is authorized users or authorized technicians by virtue of their training and experience are authorized to handle rad material.  This being the case, the surgeons are not either trained or authorized to handle rad material.  This being said, if it is determined medically that the surgeon needs to perform the injection, this is allowed if the rad material is under constant surveillance of an authorized user/technician at all times.  In practice this means in your case, the technician or authorized user would have to bring the dose to the OR and watch while it was being physically being injected.  The tech/user would then be responsible for meter surveys, contamination control, etc. upon completion of the procedure.

        This touches on the other question that I originally posed.  What is the consensus of the community on these procedures.  It is, I think, accepted that the exposure to personnel from the nodes, and the contamination, as long as universal precautions are used, is minimal.  However, once the surgeons start performing injections, then consideration would have to be given to appropriate education, and potentially dosimetry especially on the hands.

        The hope of many physicians is the lab evaluation of the nodes can be done while the patient is on the table.  They hope the link between the node results and metastases are strong enough to make the medical call for further, more radical, procedures or not.  If this can be concluded, the docs can avoid reopening the patient at a later date once the node eval is done.

        The issues with this process are many.

        1.  Dosimetery for the staff during the procedure?
        2.  Contamination control in the OR for instruments, table, etc.
        3.  Waste issues - the gause etc will have Tc-99m on it, will placing this into the regular waste stream be a problem?
        4.  If the node is evaluated in the lab at a later time, how much later does it have to be to not worry about contamiation in the lab (remember 200 dpm/100cm^2).
        5.  If the node is evaluated immediately, then do we have to train the lab personnel?  Do we have to set up a rad use area?  Do we have to do surveys?

        Clearly our goal is to assist the physicain do procedures and do them safely.  From a regultory stand point what are the requirements we need to follow?

                LOUIE TONRY, CHP
                MAJOR, MS
                Chief, Radiation Protection Division

Eisenhower Army Medical Center
ATTN: MCHF-LOG-HP (Radiation Protection), Box 264
Ft. Gordon, Georgia 30905-5650

Voice:                                          Facsimile:
DSN: 773-4692/6392                      DSN: 773-3427
Commercial: (706) 787-4692/6392 Commercial: (706) 787-3427