RE: Sydney research reactor

Jim,

If you Olympic planners weren't so concerned about the reactor then why did
we have to take the fuel out??????????

I'd like to clear up a few things about Georgia Tech and the Olympics.
Note, however, that I am not speaking officially for Georgia Tech.

A decision was made (by political, non-technical people) to remove the fuel
from the reactor during the Olympics.  This poor decision actually INCREASED
the chance of the fuel being hijacked or sabotaged.  The fuel was perfectly
safe within the reactor.  In removing the fuel, each of the 25 fuel elements
was removed from the reactor and taken outside of the building on a cart and
then into our highbay and storage pool.  If someone had wanted to disrupt
the Olympics by stealing or sabotaging the fuel, this was the perfect
opportunity.  Then, the fuel had to be shipped off-site.  Again, this makes
it much easier for someone to steal the fuel - the packaging and shielding
had already been done for them.

We were perfectly willing to suspend reactor operations throughout the
period of time that the Olympics were on campus.  The concrete structure of
the reactor combined with the containment building would have safely
protected the fuel from terrorist threat.  Just ask the decommissioning
contractor that has spent two months trying to knock it down!  Additional
security measures were put into place even with the fuel removed - snipers
on the roof, guards with automatics throughout the building, etc.

As for the 200,000 Ci of Co-60.  Again, these were perfectly safe in storage
at the bottom of a 20 foot pool.  We were able to fight enough and make
people realize that these could be kept on-site safely.  They were secured
in large casks at the bottom of the pool.  I think that the only reason we
were allowed to keep these sources is that there wasn't time to ship them
out, however.

We also had to move a 20 Ci calibration source from an underground (15 feet
under) calibration facility.

All in all, it was a total waste of money (and lots of it) and resources to
satisfy the uneducated bureaucrats and public.  Plus, it gave the GT
president (who I have heard was working at UCLA when the Olympics were there
in 1984 and helped close their reactor) the first step towards his goal of
decommissioning the reactor.

Johannes "Fritz" Strydom
Health Physicist
Georgia Institute of Technology