Re: X-Raying CDs

Dave Derenzo wrote:

> I received a CD in the mail from a company called Blue Ocean Software which
> was marked DO NOT BEND OR X-RAY.  Are any of you aware of effects that
> would be caused by x-raying a CD??????  Off-hand I can't imagine what this
> could possibly do to it.

Don't know about Blue Ocean Software but other companies I've dealt
with have shipped CD-ROMs in leftover 5.25" floppy shippers.
Perhaps that is what happened here?

Magnetic fields certainly won't affect the disk.  Radiation won't
either.  When CDs first came out, that issue arose and one of the
fellows in my office decided to test one.  He put the disc in the
instrument department's Cs-137 calibrator and left it for a long
while, long enough for the plastic to start yellowing.  Still played
like a champ.

John

--
John De Armond