Re: Special handling of individuals with lifetime dose gr

> The "nuclear industry" has proudly blown both feet off and is working
> on both its knee caps.

That we have. While we all do recognize that litigation issues have
to be treated differently than regulatory issues, the industry should
pick and chose which elements need to be more conservative. The
decision should be based on an analysis of the data and available
evidence. This is not what actually happens. The current focus is to
treat every item within a nuclear plant (and I will only speak to
nuclear plants, since other areas are handled quite differently) with
kid gloves. If the regulations are 5 rem/year, we'll restrict our
employees to 1 rem/year, and perhaps, treat a contractor a little
differently, allowing a little more dose. Why, we need them and their
expertise. In other words, when we have to, we eliminate the
conservatism. It's really a cost issue in the end. When the current
Part 20 was being revised, I participated on the NUMARC/EEI/NEI Task
Force that dealt with the NRC (Bob Baker and Walt Cool, Sr.). They
were realistic and understood the regulatory issues, as well as the
socio-economic issues. The life-time limit was discussed, and
rejected, and therefore not included in the rule-making. The
reasoning was that there was no real issue, the majority of the
workers were not being exposed to levels even near the limits, nor
had they for many years, and, the aging work-force was becoming
younger in essence. There are very few individuals out there with
significant life-time dose.  So what does the industry do? They
become more restrictive.

If one listens to Jerre Forbes of ANI, and I have many times, and I
always walk away learning something new each and every time, you will
hear that a lawsuit being brought forth has absolutely nothing to do
with the dose the individual receives. There is absolutely NO
correlation to dose and lawsuit, period. In fact, the lawsuits
brought forth basically center around an individual with an annual
dose on the order of 200 to 300 mrem (let me reiterate - per year).
So, taking steps to limit the life-time dose is contrary to what the
lawsuit statistics show us. If we were really concerned, we'd limit
dose to ZERO!!! The annual dose is < the dose that even requires
monitoring. Do we just limit dose to the public dose limits? Is that
realistic? The statistics tell us the lawsuits will still occur.

Want to avoid lawsuits? Be receptive and communicative with your
employees. Treat them with respect. Umm, now that one gets a raise
out of me. Respect is the key. When was the last time you felt
respected by your plant management???? How much dose do you have? How
many skeletons do you know involving your plant? How many lawyers for
a plaintiff know how to find you?

Food for thought..........

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205