U.S. official visits once-closed Russian N-plant

So, we're going to fund (if approved) 7 billion $$ next year alone???
And why are we going to expend so much when those funds could be
spent here within our own DOE programs???

U.S. official visits once-closed Russian N-plant

MOSCOW, Aug 30 (Reuters) - U.S. Energy Secretary Bill Richardson
hailed cooperation with Russia on Wednesday after visiting a once-
closed nuclear arms plant to see an arms conversion programme at
work.

Richardson told Reuters he had visited part of the Avangard nuclear
weapons plant in the closed town of Sarov. A part of the plant has
been separated and will be turned into a factory to make kidney
dialysis equipment.

``The significance is that it is an important milestone because I am
the first American high official to get into any Russian nuclear
weapons plant,'' he said.

This showed that even after a period of difficult relations, Russia
and the United States were still cooperating, he said.

Russian-U.S. ties were hurt by NATO's bombing of Yugoslavia during
the Kosovo crisis, although they have recently been on the mend.

Richardson said the project at the Avangard plant was part of a U.S.-
Russian scheme called Nuclear Cities, aimed at transferring workers
from the weapons sector into industries for civilian use.

``Our objective is to cover over 10 Russian nuclear cities and we
have now been involved in two,'' Richardson said.

The U.S. Department of Energy said in a statement it would spend $7
million funding the Sarov plant project in fiscal year 2001 if it won
Congressional approval.

Contacted by telephone, the department could not immediately say how
much had already been spent on the project.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205