Re: Amifostene

Otto and other Radsafers:

The drug Amifostine has been around for awhile, but as far as I know it is only being used in clinical trials.  A search of clinicaltrails.gov shows that it is being used in 32 clinical trials now.  A MedLine search will bring up many articles (one of which I have posted below).  I once talked to an oncologist at Duke University Med Center who told me that Amifostine was the result of the military's search for a drug to protect soldiers from the effects of radiation.  He was surprised that I had not heard of it before.  Does anyone know if this history tidbit is true?

Raeann Shane
Health Physicist
RMS2@NRC.GOV

Amifostine and hematologic effects.

                  Sriswasdi C, Jootar S, Giles FJ
Department of Medicine, Pramongkutklao Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand.

Amifostine is a protective agent of normal tissue from adverse effects of radiochemotherapy. It is the prodrug that is dephosphorylated by alkaline phosphatase on plasma membrane into the active form named WR-1065. More than 90 per cent of the drug is cleared from plasma in 6 minutes and the peak tissue concentration is 10-30 minutes after intravenous administration. Amifostine has the selective property to protect normal tissue but not cancer cells by mainly scavenging free radicals induced by radiation and chemocytotoxic agents. Both preclinical and clinical studies of this drug provide the significant protection of hematopoietic progentitors from a broad range of cytotoxic agents such as cyclophosphamide, cisplatin, vinblastine, carboplatin, mitomycin-C, fotemustine, doxorubicin, daunorubicin and radiation as well. Moreover, this drug can protect other normal organs or tissues including kidney, salivary gland, liver, heart, lung and small intestine. Amifostine is quite safe, the two major side effects are vomiting and hypotension, and the minor effects are flushing, sneezing, dizziness, chills, metallic taste etc. The drug was approved by the FDA of U.S.A. for use as a cytoprotectant in cyclophosphamide and cisplatin treatment for advanced ovarian cancer and non                 small cell lung cancer.

>>> ograabe@ucdavis.edu 08/31 12:42 PM >>>
August 31, 2000
Davis, CA

News releases on August 30, 2000, reported that the drug amifostene is
protective against high dose acute radiation damage to tissues in
radiotherapy.

Can anyone tell us about the action of amifostene and cite some references?

Thanks...

Otto
	Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
	Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
	(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)
	University of California, Davis, CA 95616
	E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu
	Phone:(530) 752-7754, FAX:(530) 758-6140