Re: should smoke detectors use Pu or Am?

I think a fundamental point to recall is that smoke detectors do not use
AmBe sources.  The radionuclide is Am-241 and you are monitoring the
alpha-particle flux.  Not photons.  Not neutrons.

John Jacobus, MS
Medical Health Physicist
3050 Traymore Lane
Bowie, MD 20715-2024