From: Holloway3@aol.com [mailto:Holloway3@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 10:34 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: RADSAFE digest 3459

In a message dated 10/9/00 5:30:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu writes:

<< I am trying to find out if anyone might have an idea of the health
 consequences when one consumes high levels (800pCi/liter or around 700
 micrograms)of Uranium for 5 years from their well water. The family has been
 told that it is not absorbed through the skin in its soluble state, but
there
 seems to be at least a couple of people who do not agree with that
statement.
 I have also found a couple of studies that tell it differently.  >>

Tammy,

If we knew  the health consequences of  low level exposure to uranium or
radiation in general, there would be a great deal less discussion on this
list.  You probably will not find an answer to your question and if anyone
claims to have an answer, they probably will not be telling the truth.  It
seems that hair analysis is popular these days as a part of  "alternative
medicine".   I suspect that the greatest damage from the well water exposure
will be increased worry rather than actual physical damage to health.  The
best approach to this problem is to tell the patient that there is some
reason to believe that a little radiation may be beneficial and that there is
no reason to think that the health problems are related to uranium.  If there
are any health problems,  look for different, more common reasons because it
is not likely that you will find any valid studies that will link this level
of exposure to real health effects.  The fact that the level of uranium in
hair was several hundred times normal does not necessarily mean anything.  If
the normal level is virtually zero, then a level several hundred times that
could be very little.  This may seem like a cynical reply but I am tired of
alternative medicine, most of which is bunk.  The best that can be done is to
go to a good doctor and follow his or her advice and forget about unlikely,
alternative solutions.  Someone called me a couple of years ago with a
similar situation and I told them that they were working very hard to find
something to worry about, by doing hair analysis for uranium.

R. Holloway
holloway3@aol.com