RE: uranium in drinking water

Tammy

I've copied your message and put in my comments as you go along:

	I think there's a mistake in the arithmetic here.  Natural U is
25.4Bq/mg.  So 800pCi/liter would be 1165 microgram/liter, not 700, and the
other way round, 700 microgram/liter would be 480 pCi/liter (1Bq = 27 pCi).

>  The family has been
> told that it is not absorbed through the skin in its soluble state, but
> there
> seems to be at least a couple of people who do not agree with that
> statement.
> I have also found a couple of studies that tell it differently.

	Are they not drinking it?

	By my calculation, they may be getting radiation doses by ingestion
of around the 1mSv/year mark from uranium ingestion.  That's the limit for
members of the public in Europe.  So by current radiological thinking, they
are unlikely to suffer any ill effects due to radiation.  But they *would*
be advised to reduce this dose.

> Hair levels of U have been retrieved and range from 3400 times the high
> normal in their 2 1/2 year old daughter to 1500 times the norm in the
> mother
> and next youngest child. The next two children are around 600 times the
> norm.
> The eldest child and father are yet to be tested.

	Someone else has commented on this.  I'm not sure what hair
concentrations prove.  It might be better to spend the resources on better
monitoring of the well water.

> The mother presented at age 33 with low bone mass with no past nutritional
>
> history to indicate such, and progressively decaying teeth. The two
> younger
> children have very poor dental, with good hygiene habits. The youngest
> again
> has no mass to her teeth -- the dentist refers to it as comparable to
> drilling chalk.
>
> The radium levels were also tested and are above the federal limits
> (12pCi/l
> of R226 and 3.5pCi/l of R228). The radon levels in their home were 3.7 but
> in
> their water is 9228.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Tammy Marks

	Only my own unchecked, very rushed, calculations.  Personal
non-corporate views only.

	Regards

	keith.bradshaw@nnc.co.uk

NNC Limited