Re: Fw: Question on low-dose rad effects

	This problem goes much further. The cancer risk per rad is about
the same for a 30 gram mouse as for a 70,000 gram man, and I would bet it
isn't much different for an elephant.The answer must be that initiating
events are not controlling, as might be expected from the fact that we get
far more single strand and double strand DNA breaks from chemical and
thermal processes than we do from any reasonable radiation exposure. The
controlling factor must be biological defense mechanisms.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260