Re: Nuclear waste needs a home . . . someplace

Ruth,
    You are correct when you state that, "The notion of mined geologic
disposal of spent nuclear fuel was not just some scam dreamed up by DOE".
Actually, it was a scam dreamed up by the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC). In
the late 1950's. when they "realized" that disposal of nuclear waste needed
a policy, they set up an NAS committee to review the problem and make
recommendations. That committee was composed almost entirely of geological
scientists. There were no oceanic scientists and, more interestingly, no
health physicists included.
    It was therefore preordained that nuclear waste disposal was to be a
geological problem and that remains the case to this day. As a consequence,
oceanic disposal, which IMHO, is the safest and least expensive method for
 disposal of hazardous materials has never received serious consideration by
 official  agencies.
    In addition, it was implicitly determined by this group of geologic
scientists that nuclear waste, due to its long half-life components,  posed
problem of unprecedented duration requiring the complete containment of
deadly radioactivity for time periods that human institutions were incapable
of assuring. From a scientific standpoint this precept is nonsense, but it
has
been reflected in regulations  and is so deeply imbedded in the public mind
that it is unlikely to be displaced by facts and logic.
    Anti-nukes are not the only groups responsible for the current mess we
are in. "Scientists" making judgements outside of their field of expertise
must also share the blame.   jjcohen@prodigy.net