From: KDA2921@aol.com [mailto:KDA2921@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 9:45 PM
To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Cc: KDA2921@aol.com
Subject: Re: Court Seeks Views on Waste Compact

The agreement between the states that were members of the Southeast
compact
and the State of North Carolina was to study the location of a disposal
site
within North Carolina.  Is it not feasible to assume that the results
of the
costly study indicated that locating the site in North Carolina was not
the
"best" option?  It would not appear prudent for the State of North
Carolina
to agree to construct the facility if the location would not be in the
interest of the compact states or would adequately address the
liability of
the members of the compact.

Of course, the "Supremes" will not proceed in the case in order to "rip
the
lungs out of North Carolina".  The brief news article has more than
likely
not included the numerous facts that impacted the decision made by
North
Carolina.  Locating facilities to dispose of low level radioactive
waste
continues to be a difficult and challenging technical and political
tasks.

Keith Anderson, CHP
kda2921@aol.com