Re: Power Plant Pollution Linked to 30,000 Premature Deaths

At what age is a death considered "premature" and why?

Moreover, this strikes me as (a) another application of a linear
extrapolation (I don't care who they were, they didn't observe 18,000
deaths) and (b) an example of a sort of backwards epidemiology.
Epidemiology is usually (historically) first, observation of a health effect
in a group of people; then, correlation of that effect with some common
factor, and finally, it is to be hoped, learning the cause by studying the
comon factor.  The elucidation of the HIV virus is a good example: a
collection of severe symptoms was observed in certain groups of people, the
common factor was exposure to blood and other bodily fluids, and ultimately
the HIV viral infection was identified.

What we do with ionizing radiation and now apparently with air pollutants is
just the reverse.  We identify a pollutant (the putative causative factor),
note a population that is exposed, and then look for or even prediict a
health effect.

Yeah, well, just my humble opinion.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com