Re: DMC-100 Sensitivity to Cell Phones

Davis Besse restricts the use of cell phones near MG dosimeters.  We test
each model cell phone available to understand its affect on the MG
dosimeter.  Until a specific cell phone model is tested with a MG dosimeter
and proved not to interfere, we request they not be used near a MG
dosimeter.  We do test each model of MG dosimeter (DMC 90, DMC 100, DMC
2000) with each type of cell phone.  We have not seen any interference if
the cell phone and dosimeter are kept one foot apart.

This is incorporated into RWT training and visitor handouts.  Visitor and
non trained workers need to be observed the closest to avoid interferences.
Most are so used to using a cell phone everywhere, they forget the
dosimeter separation requirement.

June L. Scott, M.S.
Health Physicist
Davis Besse Nuclear Power Station