Re: [DOEWatch] FIGHT NUCLEAR POWER AS "SOLUTION" TO GLOBAL WARMING: CSD9/CLI...

Radsafe:

Copied below is  a "Nuclear Alert" from a consortium of antinuclear groups
concerned that nuclear power  plants may get some favorable mention in an
upcoming UN document on implementing the Kyoto Climate Change Protocols. If
you or your organization wish to share your written thoughts on the strong
ncentives for nuclear technologies regarding reducing greenhouse gas
emissions vs. alternate fuel cycles email addresses of the UN contacts are
listed in the "Nuclear Alert" below. In your email, it is important to
mention nuclear electric generation's various other environmental, climatic,
strategic, and economic benefits vs. the claims of its many critics since
this is key to whether nuclear power is judged as acceptable as one of the
options to reduce greenhouse gas production.

It is clear that many so-called "environmental" groups are in danger of being
hoisted on their own petard over their dogmatic opposition to nuclear energy
and cannot face the benefits it offers on climatic issues with any shred of
intellectual honesty. It would be unfortunate if the UN decisionmakers on
this upcoming report hear only from various anti-nuclear groups repeating
unsubstantiated dogma about the shortcomings of nuclear energy. However, time
is of the essence and there are only a few days to get your email views to
the UN contacts specified.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health [Air Pollution Control]
Public Health Sciences
email: radiumproj@cs.com
===============

In a message dated 11/1/00 4:01:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
smirnowb@ix.netcom.com writes:

> [...]
>  > >overall energy mix.  It is ncessary, however that
>  > >acceptable responses be found to such concerns as
>  > >reactor safety, radioactive waste management,
>  > >proliferation of fissile material and life cycle cost."
>  > >
>  > >It is clear that there is now a worldwide effort among certain
>  > >industrialized countries with nuclear industries (Canada, U.S., maybe
>  > >France, UK, Russia) to push for a nuclear energy renaissance,
>  particularly
>  > >for these countries to sell nuclear technologies to developing
countries.
>  > >They are being assisted by the collaboration of governments of certain
>  > >oil/coal producing countries, that are only too happy to cooperate in
>  > >diverting the world's attention away from the production and consumption
>  of
>  > >unsustainable fossil fuels.
>  > >
>  > >Besides the attempt to obtain at the CSD some imprimatur of
>  > >"sustainability" for nuclear, the same countries noted above are working
>  at
>  > >the Climate Change Convention negotiations to get nuclear recognized as
>  > >"Clean Development Mechanism" of sorts.
>  > >
>  > >WHAT YOUR ORGANISATION CAN DO:
>  > >
>  > >1.  By November 7: Prepare an input concerning nuclear energy, clearly
>  > >specifying that it is an input to the "Report of the Secretary General
on
>  > >Energy for Sustainable Development: Strategies and Actions" for CSD9, as
>  > >well as for any background papers on the subject of energy for CSD9.
>  The
>  > >input should be from your organisation, in written form, and be about 5
>  > >pages.  In your organisation's submission, it would be helpful to
mention
>  > >the vast subsidies that go to nuclear energy, and it's high real cost
>  just
>  > >in economic terms, to say nothing about health, safety, and
>  environomental
>  > >concerns.  Email your input to Mr. K. N. Mak of the UN Department of
>  > >Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), and cc: to other members of the
>  Energy
>  > >Group in DESA as well as the Major Groups Coordinator, Ms. Zeyra
>  > >Aydin-Sipos, and bcc:, or cc: it separately, to the co-chairs of the NGO
>  > >Energy & Climate Change Caucus, Rajat Chaudhuri and Deling Wang.   Try
>  > >do this by November 3 if possible or no later than November 7.  Email
>  > >addresses are as follows:
>  > >
>  > >To: mak@un.org
>  > >cc: gururaja@un.org, shane@un.org, shearer@un.org, aydin@un.org
>  > >bcc: rajat.chaudhuri@cuts-india.org, deling@igc.org
>  > >
>  > >2. By November 13:  Concerning the Framework Convention on Climate
Change