Re: Half-life(s) of Cf-252

According to the "Rad Health Handbook -- 1970":

        Cf-252
        ------
        T1/2    =  2.64 y
        SF T1/2 =  85 y

ENSDF http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nndc/nudat/ and Kocher (1981) list the atomic half-life at about 2.4 y with 3.1% SF-- which would be equivalent to an assumed SF half-life of 85.4 y.

  Bobby Coleman
  Oak Ridge National Laboratory
  colemanrl@ornl.gov

At 08:37 AM 11/8/00 -0600, you wrote:
Somewhere in the deep recess of my mind (well, maybe not deep, but
definitely in recess) I seem to remember that Cf-252 has two different
half-lives, one for spontaneous fission, and one for alpha decay.  I cannot
find a reference for this (on my shelf), although I did find a line that
mentioned the effective half-life of Cf-252, so maybe the blonde hairs
haven't taken over completely.  Am I out to lunch on this?
If I am indeed recalling this correctly, what is the mechanism that
determines the decay mode (like spin, etc.)?

Thanks in advance

Brian Rees
brees@lanl.gov