Re: smoke detectors

RADSAFERS:

In case it has not yet been mentioned, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission does have a health physics position on this subject. HPPOS-150, which is described in NUREG/CR-5569, Rev. 1, 1994 (Health Physics Positions Data Base), describes requirements for (1) imported smoke detectors posessed under a specific license, and (2) smoke detectors distributed as exempt items.

Regarding domestic (i.e., U.S.) smoke detectors distributed as exempt units, licensees who possess such are "...exempt from regulatory requirements regarding the smoke detectors, and they may be disposed of as ordinary trash." I do not know whether there have been any changes to this position since 1994. Licensees can always contact their NRC project manager for additional information.

Note: the above is presented for information. It represents my opinion only, and does not indicate the NRC's policy on this issue.

Duane.

Duane Schmidt
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
NMSS/DWM/DCB
dws2@nrc.gov

>>> MrRMW1@aol.com 11/14/2000 4:56:47 PM >>>

This is what we reccomend to all of our clients.  Anyone who need further
information can contact Joseph Koch, Ph.D. at 636-928-9628 for NRC and State
clarification on smoke detector regulations.