RE: PREFERRED ALTERNATIVE FOR NI-PEIS ANNOUNCED

Most of us would probably agree with Ruth....

Is there a chance that this (near-) decision might be reversed under a Bush
administration ?

BTW, a more direct link to the NI-PEIS Press Release is
http://www.energy.gov/HQPress/releases00/novpr/pr00291.htm

The reason given by DoE for the permanent deactivation of the Fast Flux Test
Facility (FFTF) at the Hanford Site, near Richland Wash is that "Commitments
from the private and public sectors were not sufficient to justify
restarting FFTF or building new facilities at this time."
It adds that,
The preferred alternative anticipates resumption of domestic production of
Pu-238 using the Advanced Test Reactor in Idaho and the High Flux Isotope
Reactor in Tennessee. The preferred alternative includes processing of the
Pu-238 targets at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
But IMO, this is very short sighted, since some types of isotope production
are  impossible to do on a large scale in reactors other than fast neutron
types like FFTF.

Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca