From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
[mailto:radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu]On Behalf Of Kevin Konzen
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 7:29 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Radiological Characterization Technical Basis

Hi All,

We (at Mound - Ohio) are in the middle of putting together a procedure
that prescribes how to properly characterize a work site to establish the
radiological requirements for the job.  This procedure is identifying a
process for properly characterizing these areas through various
sampling techniques.  The data is used to identify bioassay sampling
requirements and air monitoring requirements.

We have a unique situation here, where this site has dealt with many
types of radionuclides in the past and we have many areas where there
are several  radionuclides to account for.

What I am looking for is two-fold:

1) 	I would like to compile a list on how other sites have standardized
their characterization process for swipe/smear density and/or intrusive
sampling.  (For example: 1 swipe taken every 10 square meters with
additional swipes taken at potential source terms for general room
surveys)

2)	Secondly, I am gathering information to support  a technical basis
for standardizing the process of characterization. Characterization is a
unique process since surveys are concentrated at potential or actual
source terms; thereby, biasing the analysis to where statistical analysis
may not prove beneficial in justifying the process.

For anyone interested in receiving a copy of this summary, send me an
email of your interest.

Thankyou for your support,

Kevin Konzen
Mound - ALARA Engineer