RE: Radioactive "seed" treatment no threat to others- ISOTOPE??

Both I-125 and Pd-103 decay by electron capture and hence, produce low
energy x-rays (i.e., 20-35 keV).  Typical seed loading ranges from 0.2 to
0.6 mCi (for I-125) and up to 2 mCi for Pd-103.

I have had experience with surveying patients who were implanted with 80 to
100 I-125 seeds.  Typically, the dose rate at the surface of the skin at
the base of the penis is about 2 mrem/hr.  At 3 ft it is virtually
undetectable.  Physicians typically advise against sexual intercourse for 3
to 6 months, more for fear of dislodged seeds in semen than from any
concern about radiation exposure to the wife.

Thomas L. Morgan, Ph.D.
Director, Health Physics
Radiation Safety Officer
Isotope Products Labs