Re: Radioactive "seed" treatment-Brachytherapy vs. Cs-137

In a message dated 12/4/00 7:25:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
nicholas.harmon@exeloncorp.com writes:

>  What is the difference between the manner in which Cs-137 and I-125 are
>  used in brachytherapy?
==========
Brachytherapy employs a sealed source [or sources as with seeds] of some type
in treating some condition. Cs-137 or any energetic gamma emitter like it is
now used relatively infrequently in brachytherapy [having displaced the use
of Ra-226 earlier] because strong gamma emitters like Cs-137 or Ra-226
deliver too much unwanted radiation dose to tissues  not "requiring" therapy.
I-125 or Pd-103 seeds have low energy x-rays or beta emissions that deliver
dose almost exclusively to the tissue of interest.

Also long lived Cs-137 brachytherapy sources would have to be removed after
sufficient dose were delivered to the tissue of interest while short lived
isotope seeds like Pd-103 or I-125 can decay in place.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
[[802] 496-3356