Oscillations in Thyroid I-131 levels

Folks,

Recently, one of my co-workers had an I-131 thyroid
treatment done on her pet cat.  Because of concerns that
she had regarding dose to her family, I provided a survey
instrument to her for her to check the dose rates on the
cat (they were not severe, as it turned out).

At my suggestion, she took readings several
times a day (morning, afternoon, evening).
Interestingly, she noted that the dose on the thyroid in
the morning was nearly twice the dose that she would take
at the end of the day (~ 10 mrem vs. 5-6 mrem).

My interpretation of this is that the thyroid is
"recharging" itself with thyroid hormones while the cat
is sleeping, thus increasing the level of I in the
thyroid.  When the cat is active, these hormones are then
depleted from the thyroid, causing the lowering in dose.

For you thyroid experts, is this a correct
interpretation?  Could you provide a more detailed
explanation?

Thanks,

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer