The origin of USEPA STD (4 mrem/y)

During the HPS Denver meeting, I attended Mr. W.A. Mills's presentation
titled "Congressional Activities Relating to Radiation to Radiation Safety
Standards and regulations" (WAM-A.10).

This is the best of my recollection. The 4 mrem drinking water standard
originated from meetings between the US and Canada.  They came together 25
years ago to deal with the water quality of the Great Lakes. At that time,
the annual natural background radiation was considered 100 mrem, during the
same period of time the Chinese were conducting weapons testing, (I assume
this meant atmospheric testing).  The 4 mrem was selected as 1% of the
natural BKG (1 mrem) + 3 mrem expected contribution from the Chinese testing.

Can anyone confirm that? Are there any written documents about this topic? I
wasn't successful to reach Mr. Mills. Thank you. M. Jo
begin:vcard
n:Jo;M.
tel;fax:775-784-4553
tel;work:775-784-4540
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Nevada Reno;EH&S, MS 328
adr:;;N. Virginia St;Reno;NV;89557;
version:2.1
email;internet:mjo@unr.edu
title:Myung Chul Jo, M.S., CHP