RE: Bill Richardson and California Electricity Problems.

Hi All,

I realize we are getting a bit off topic, but I thought I'd put my two cents
worth in here.  I work for Pacific Gas and Electric at Diablo Canyon Power
Plant.  The magnitude of the problem, for PG&E at least, isn't really
spelled out in Richardson's remarks.  PG&E has borrowed over 4 BILLION
dollars in the past few months to enable us to provide power to our
customers.  We are borrowing at the rate of approximately 1 MILLION dollars
per day right now.  As part of deregulation, both SCE and PG&E were required
to sell at least 50% of our generating capacity.  For PG&E, we sold
everything except Diablo Canyon....there are some hydro exceptions there,
but that gets complicated.  Therefore, we must buy electricity for our
customers.  As part of the settlements to deal with stranded costs (I don't
want to get into that argument) we have a fixed price reimbursement rate
that extends through 2001.  We are getting paid about 4 cents/KWhr, but we
are buying power at rates as high at 60 - 70 cents/KWhr.  The math doesn't
work here at all, at least not for PG&E.  Based on information we are
receiving, our biggest immediate concern is that we are getting close to our
credit limit, so to speak.  When and if we can't borrow any more money to
buy power, I assume there will be sort of state or federal intervention.
There are already ballot propositions being proposed by various consumer
groups to essentially dismantle the deregulation process, so I'm sure we'll
be debating this stuff in the courts and legislatures for years to come.

One thing of concern to me regarding this great experiment (in addition to
the health of my employer, PG&E) is if we were truly in a deregulated market
as forecast for 2002, 60 cents/KWhr is an awful lot of money for the
consumer to pay for electricity.  With my very limited understanding of all
this, one key part of fixing this "broken" system and still transitioning to
a fully deregulated market, is more generation...and that won't happen in
two years.  It's sad during times like this to think about Rancho Seco with
it's 800 MWatts of fully functional electricity in a partially dismantled
condition.  We sure like our power here in California, we just don't want it
generated in our backyards.

I am now stepping off my soapbox and returning to Dosimetry duties.

Needless to say, my employer hasn't reviewed any of this stuff....and all
the usual disclaimers apply.

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Linda

Linda M. Sewell, CHP