Re: Request for suggestion

Caution:  ranting ahead!

I believe the problem -- and the approach -- are considerably broader than
"mistrust of nuclear power" because one sees the same kind of junk science
applied to chemical contamination, certain food (e.g., coffee drinking
increases the risk of breast cancer) , certain medical procedures (remember
the silicone implants?), the use of medication (I just read an article that
claims that wheatgrass extract is the only veterinary medication one needs
for anything).  And to repeat myself (perhaps ad nauseam), this is not a
question of "trust" or "faith."

Moreover, the "answer is not easy.  I believe that we must do a better job
of requiring analytical thinking, not just teaching it to children but
enforcing it in adults.  "Well, I don't know but I suspect..." which
translates to "I don't know but I'd like to think..." should not be an
acceptable rationale for anything.  Moreover, we should put scientists in
charge of scientific endeavors -- not lawyers and people with MBA degrees
(even Harvard MBA degrees).  We should junk this notion that "scientists
don't know how to write for the lay public" as well as the prevalent DOE
notion  that DOE documents are written for tenth or eighth or sixth grade
reading levels (there seems to be a competition for low grade numbers going
on), which anyway they aren't.

We should not tolerate lies and distortions.  And I don't just mean Bill
Clinton lying about sex, which is less egregious than the other lies and
distorions that appear daily in the press.  I don't trust anything I read in
any newspaper any more, and I don't even watch television.

I short (and in order not to go on and on about this) we need a societal
"sea-change" in which (a) having open scientific arguments that include
uncertainty is preferred to empty reassurances, so people don't pretend to
know things they don't know, (b) being a victim is not a virtue, so you
don't have these hordes of pseudo-victims, (c) apply the scientific method
to scientific endeavors, and (d) insist that if "the public" are going to
play science games, they need to play by science rules and learn what those
rules are.  Ignorance is NOT a virtue!

Thanks for listening.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com