Re: Deaths from fossil fuel burning air pollution -Reply

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Franz Schoenhofer wrote:

> Until now I only have read on RADSAFE about the potential of money to be
> saved by for instance not applying the LNT, but I cannot remember that any
> idea came up, what to do with the money which could be saved.

	--I and others have published papers listing cost per life
saved by various measures. These cost are sometimes as low as $100. These
papers offer plenty of ideas on what to do with the money saved.

	--Every time a coal burning plant is built instead of a nuclear
plant, a thousand people are condemned to an early death, and this
statement is true even if we accept the dangers of nuclear power claimed
by the anti-nuclear activists. Is this such a trivial point?

		--Historically, the big killers have always been
pestilence, war, and famine. I have no doubt that this will remain true
for a very long time. But mankind is exerting great efforts to reduce
these hazards. Does that mean that we should ignore all other problems
afflicting human health?