Re: Spent Fuel Racks

Give me a call for more detailed information. I was the RadWaste supervisor/HP for a SFP reracking project in the 80's.

1. Look for "fleas" as we encountered zircalloy cladding failures in the fuel assemblies. Some "fleas" had dose rates of > 100 R/hr.
2. The general work field was ~ 90-100 mR/hr.
3. We found >100K alpha/cm^2 on the first swipes.
4. As we were in a warm climate, dehydration was our major concern for the volume reduction crews for the old racks.
5. We had excellent divers, but the "as-built" drawings of the old racks left out critical details, causing higher diver dose.
6. Good practices included:
    a.) Assure the the rigging equipment has been load tested recently.
    b.) Have your SF movement worked out well ahead of time with the utility. This    will minimze worker dose & the number of time that divers need to be used to handle rigging vs. remote rigging.
    c.) Have a old rack wash down/drainage/dry-off area. This minimized the loose & potential airborne problems. We wrapped the old low density racks in plastic after "dry-off".
    d.) If you have to do "Blackness" testing, i.e., neutron absorbency verification on the new racks, arrange for enough room for this to be going on simultaneously away from other work to avoid unnecessary dose from the neutron source.
    e.) Expect the old racks to be very "dirty". Have your people put on PC's & breathing apparati accordingly. We used hose-supplied breathing/cooling air into fiberglass hard helmets to mitigate dehydration & other OSHA-related issues.

Call me @ 203-432-9875, if you want more info.