Re: " Anti-Temelin convoy heading for Vienna "

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Franta, Jaroslav <frantaj@aecl.ca>
An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Datum: Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2000 13:23
Betreff: " Anti-Temelin convoy heading for Vienna "

>Radio Prague (Vysilani do zahranici CRo)
>News 19.12.2000
>By Rob Cameron
>
>Anti-Temelin convoy heading for Vienna
>
>A convoy of 70 vehicles is to drive through the centre of Vienna on
Tuesday,
>to protest against the Temelin nuclear power plant in South Bohemia.
Members
>of the protest, called 'Wake Up Vienna!,' will deliver a list of demands to
>the Czech Embassy and the Austrian Government. Protestors also plan to
>install a billboard outside the Austrian Parliament, to warn of the dangers
>of nuclear power.

I have heard of such plans yesterday. Today there was nothing on such a
convoy at teletext - a TV compilation of the most important news from all
parts of the world and in the main news on TV early evening, nothing was
mentioned. We had the first snow falling this year in Vienna, it was just a
few degrees above zero Celsius, wet and windy. Maybe this made it little
attractive to protest?

The Austrian anti-nuclear lobby

I do not know, what the anti-nuclear lobby is. We have certain groups from
greens to left wing and right wing, socalled "citizens movement groups",
which are actively anti-nuclear and then we have the big majority of people
being passively anti-nuclear, because the mass media write in such a way and
one has to demonstrate the good will for "security", "peace" etc. The
relation between the two states which is traditionally not friction free is
sure another reason of the attitude toward a Czech (or Slovak or Slovenian)
nuclear power plant.

has rejected an agreement
>reached last week by Austrian Chancellor Wolfgang Schuessel and Czech Prime
>Minister Milos Zeman.

No, a part of the above mentioned groups has accepted it positively, a part
has accepted it reluctantly. All said, they would not block the border
crossings "in the near future". (Do not forget, it's Christmas time!)

One extremely interesting item for me is, that the big anti-nuclear
environmentalist movements Greenpeace and Global 2000 have  n o t
participated in the blocking of the border.......

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Schoenhofer;Franz
FN:Franz Schoenhofer
ORG:Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management, Department of Radiation Protection
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+43-1-71100-4458
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+43-1-495 53 08
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+43-699-116 813 19
TEL;WORK;FAX:+43-1-7122331
TEL;HOME;FAX:+43-1-495 53 08
ADR;WORK:;;Radetzkystr. 2;A-1031 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Radetzkystr. 2=0D=0AA-1031 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
ADR;HOME:;;Habicherg. 31/7;A-1160 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Habicherg. 31/7=0D=0AA-1160 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:franz.schoenhofer@chello.at
REV:20001219T191307Z
END:VCARD