Re: Ex-Soviet Union had 385 radioactive accidents: Tass

Interesting data

>MOSCOW, Dec. 19 (Kyodo) - Nuclear facilities in Russia and other
>former Soviet republics experienced 385 radioactive accidents during
>the Soviet era and 56 workers were killed from radioactive exposure,
>Russia's Itar-Tass news agency said Tuesday.

Does somebody have more detailed data of these figures, like
non fatal versus fatal.
I wonder which definition of accident is used for these figures.
The number of total accidents only refers to sever accidents I suppose.
If it is compared to the number of 56 it seems to be a low figure.

>According to the Russian Ministry for Civil Defense, Emergencies and
>Clean-Up Operations, more than 55,000 people have died from
>aftereffects of radiation after an explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear
>plant in April 1986 spewed a massive amount of radiation into the
>air.

55.000 died ?????????
The interpreter was probably not familiar with the subject of the story.

Paul van Rooijen
Manager HSE
AIB-Vinçotte Nederland BV
Postbus 6869