Re: Finland: repository for spent fuel

Dear Dr Lars,
This is a very important information, Congratulation to our Finnish
colleagues.
I had the opportunity to learn the Scandinavian status on Radioactive Waste,
starting from the International Symposium on the Underground Disposal of
Radioactive Wastes, Otaniemi, Finland, 2 - 6 July 1979. Today, as I know,
the situation is the following: In Finland, Norway and Sweden, underground
repositories for low and medium level waste are operating at intermediate
depths between 50 and 100 meters, at the Olkiluoto nuclear site (since
1992), at the Loviisa site (since 1998), at Himdalen (since 1999), and at
the Forsmark site (since 1988).

I suggest an interesting lecture, possible from the IAEA WEB, Protecting the
Earth Volume 39, Number 1 IAEA Bulletin
Radioactive waste disposal:  Global experience and challenges
by Kyong Won Han, Jorma Heinonen, and Arnold Bonne
http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/inforesource/bulletin/bull391/bonne.html

The paper also present a Status of low and intermediate level waste disposal
facilities in various countries in 1996

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il
Israel