Re: Air crew exposures, regulatory issues

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Lester Slaback <Lester.Slaback@NIST.GOV>
An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Datum: Donnerstag, 28. Dezember 2000 17:23
Betreff: Air crew exposures, regulatory issues

>The issue of air crew exposure is highlighted in Europe by their regulatory
>scheme.  They are adopting the ICRP 2 rem (.02 Sv) annual limit (really 0.1
>Sv per 5 yrs).  The 30% criterion for monitoring then brings a lot of the
>air crews into the monitoring program which further highlights their
exposures.

I do not know, where you got your information from, but the facts are, that
regulations regarding air crew exposures have been already adopted in 1996 -
see Jose Rozenthals comment about the Basic Safety Standards Directive. Most
European Union Governments have not yet implemented the BSS into national
law, but since last May most of the directive is directly applicable, even
if it has not been implemented yet. Air crew exposures fall into that
category. How to handle surveillance is to my knowledge not clear in any
state.

>In the U.S. the criterion is 10% of 5 rem

This must be a typing error? Anyway 50 mSv is much higher than 30% of 20
mSv.

Franz

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Schoenhofer;Franz
FN:Franz Schoenhofer
ORG:Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management, Department of Radiation Protection
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+43-1-71100-4458
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+43-1-495 53 08
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+43-699-116 813 19
TEL;WORK;FAX:+43-1-7122331
TEL;HOME;FAX:+43-1-495 53 08
ADR;WORK:;;Radetzkystr. 2;A-1031 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Radetzkystr. 2=0D=0AA-1031 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
ADR;HOME:;;Habicherg. 31/7;A-1160 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Habicherg. 31/7=0D=0AA-1160 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:franz.schoenhofer@chello.at
REV:20001228T224527Z
END:VCARD