RE: Radioprotection of plants & animals

Please, Gentlemen.  Let us remember that the Study of Health Physics
involves more than just health effects and protection from ionizing
radiation, but also involves the effects of microwaves, effects of an ozone
layer, or loss thereof and the increased radiation (both ionizing and
non-ionizing) effects on life on this earth.

There are as many ways to die as there are people, animals, and plants, but
our Field is worthy of note in that we are able to
 - allow nuclear plants to operate safely without fear of fatally exposing
the workers and public,
 - create better "nuke" ovens and better seals around the doors,
 - determine how much dose it will take to kill a tumor,
 - what the skin exposure would be at certain times of day based on the
available "natural
   shielding" from cosmic radiation,
 and recommend safety measures to minimize the effects of the various types
of radiation that people, other animals, and - yes, even plants.   Try
putting your favorite orchid in the sun on a summer day at noon and see what
happens - even if the plant is kept in a container in a controlled
temperature to it's "liking".

Environmentalists also need to listen to what Health Physics personnel say.
When it comes to protecting the environment, we are the source of knowledge,
both from manmade as well as natural radiation, both from the earth and from
the cosmos.  They all have a cumulative effect on us, them, and whatever
else can be affected, both in a positive and negative manner.