Bulgaria runs radioactive tests for Kosovo troops

and then again, here we have:

Bulgaria runs radioactive tests for Kosovo troops

SOFIA, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Bulgaria will run medical tests on Thursday
to check whether its peacekeepers in Kosovo were affected by
radiation from depleted uranium ammunition used by NATO, the Defence
Ministry said.

"We have ordered the checks due to increased public interest, though
so far we have not registered any health problems among our soldiers
in Kosovo caused by radiation," Defence Minister Boiko Noev told a
press conference.

He said 39 Bulgarian soldiers were in Kosovo as part of a United
Nations peacekeeping force which entered Kosovo in 1999 following
NATO's air war to oust Serb forces.

Results of the checks are expected on Friday or Saturday.

There are rising concerns in Europe over mysterious illnesses among
veterans of Balkan peacekeeping missions.

Some NATO countries have urged the alliance to investigate claims
that soldiers serving in the Balkans were killed by exposure to
depleted uranium from spent ammunition used in NATO airstrikes
against Yugoslavia.

Noev said that Bulgaria, which borders Yugoslavia, had not so far
registered any environmental pollution caused by the NATO campaign.
"I believe that the possibilities for such pollution in Bulgaria are
equal to zero," he said.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandyfl.nukeworker.net