DU

Title: DU

Just wanted to let those of you interested in DU that on Tuesday, 1/9/01, the Canadian Broadcasting Company program "As is happens" had an interview with a researcher in Newfoundland who was measureing U isotopes in soldiers exposed to DU.  This is a laboratory that normally does U-Pb isotopics for geological studies. I believe the lab was located either at Trinity University or Trinity Hospital, not quite sure. The lab was receiving samples from US, Canadian, and other nationalities and the researcher, whose name I do not remember, presented a paper in Europe, I believe it was Belgium.  Because of the isotopic analyses, the researcher could tell the difference between natural U exposures and DU exposures.  About 1/2 the samples indicated DU exposures with some as high as 500 ppb. I do not recall whether or not any links between DU and illness were made by the researcher.  Here is a link to the radio program.  You can find the  DU topic by checking the "past bills" link.

http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/asithappens/

Kjell Johansen
Point Beach Nuclear Plant
kjell.johansen@wepco.com

Just my own comments  which may or may not reflect the opinions of my employer