Re: Magnesium-thorium question

Thanks,
Your suggestion is just about exactly what we are
ending up with in the analysis.  I hadn't realized that
the 'normally occurring radioactive material'
statement was a reference to NORM, but now
I see it must have been.  I didn't write it, i'm just trying
to analyze it.  not the best way to get things done,
but it seems to work...

Thanks again for the help,
Mike Carstensen
EDAW, Inc.

>>> mark.hogue@srs.gov 01/11/01 07:20AM >>>
--=_alternative 00484082852569D1_=

Mike,

I have a couple of suggestions:

<<The skin on the boosters is made from HK31A-H24 Magnesium-
thorium, less than 3% thorium according to what
we've been told.>>

Here, I think the public would want to know that the alloy being used is
chosen to give the missile the greatest chances of success. What if you
used an alloy without thorium? Wouldn't that present more of a hazard due
to more possibility of the missile shoot not going as planned?

<<A statement has been made, but not signed off to,
that the "alloy's radioactivity measures less than 80
microcuries and is handled as a normally occurring
radioactive material.">>

You mean NORM (naturally occurring radioactive material).

<<There have been other
statements bandied about to the effect that the
radiation from this is less than that from a watch.>>

What should be explained is any pathway for the public to be exposed to
the radiation. Should the material be vaporized, for example, what
respirable concentrations would likely present themselves to the public? I
imagine that this would be negligeable, but a small calculation should
back that up. You can then put that miniscule potential radiation into
perspective with natural background, etc. And be sure to state clearly
that it is safe, because that's all a lot of people will hear.

--=_alternative 00484082852569D1_=

thorium, less than 3% thorium according to what<br>
we've been told.&gt;&gt; </font>
&lt;&lt;A statement has been made, but not signed off to,<br>
that the &quot;alloy's radioactivity measures less than 80<br>
microcuries and is handled as a normally occurring<br>
radioactive material.&quot;&gt;&gt; </font>
statements bandied about to the effect that the<br>
radiation from this is less than that from a watch.&gt;&gt;</font>
--=_alternative 00484082852569D1_=--