Re: U-234 formula based on U-235 Enrichment

Randy,

There is a useful reference: Rich BL, SL Hinnefeld, CR Lagerquist, WG Mansfield, LH Munson, ER Wagner, and EJ Vallario, Health Physics Manual of Good Practices for Uranium Facilities, Idaho National Engineering laboratory, rep. DE88-013620, June 1988.

They provide the following for TOTAL specific activity, versus u-235 enrichment percentage (E):
S.A. = (0.4 + 0.38E + 0.0034(E^2)) x 10^-6 Ci/g

(I've used the ^ to denote the powers)

NOTE: This equation would apply only to enrichment using gaseous diffusion technology. I think you could use this equation, along with the specific activity of U-238, to estimate the contribution of U-234. The reference also provides figures showing the percent of total activity as a function of enrichment.

Hope this helps some.

Duane.

Duane Schmidt, CHP
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
NMSS/DWM/DCB
dws2@nrc.gov

>>> rxq@ornl.gov 1/12/2001 7:01:32 AM >>>
I have previously run across a formula for calculating U-234 activity based
on U-235 enrichment and can't locate the reference.  Anyone have a formula
and reference?

As usual, many thanks,

Randy Redmond
BWXT Y-12 L.L.C.