Re: MDA vs Applicable Limit

Having an MDA at 10% of the applicable limit is a good rule of thumb, see

Fong, S. H. and J. L. Alvarez, When is a Lower Limit of Detection Low Enough?,
Health Physics; 72(2): 282-285, 1997

for an explanation of the basis behind the rule of thumb.

Mitch Davis wrote:

> Good Afternoon:
>
> Does anyone know of a requirement or guidance document that specifies that
> in a particular counting system what percentage of the applicable limit the
> MDA (detection limit) must be?  10% sticks in my head (ie MDA must be 10% of
> the applicable limit).  Any thoughts?  Thank you for your assistance.  You
> may reply directly to me at the below address.
>
> Mitchell Davis, RRPT
> RSO, NORM Decon Services, LLC
> mdavis@normdecon.com

begin:vcard
n:Alvarez;Joseph L.
tel;fax:865-675-3677
tel;work:865-675-3669
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Auxier & Associates, Inc.
adr:;;9821 Cogdill Rd., Suite 1;Knoxville;TN;37932;
version:2.1
email;internet:jalvarez@auxier.com
fn:Joseph L. Alvarez
end:vcard