Re: Uranium, radium in Groundwater

We've seen similar results from wells up and down the Front Range of the
Rockies, although numbers this high are unusual.  The isotopic uranium
results appear to have been produced by alpha spectrometry, in which it
is difficult or impossible to distinguish between U-233/U-234 or between
U-235 /U-236 because the alpha energies are too close to resolve.  Here
at least we know we're dealing with natural U and I'd be surprised if
that wasn't the case in this sample.

The few samples I've seen with concentrations this high were generally
so full of minerals that the water was nearly undrinkable just due to
taste and color issues, let alone possible health effects.  I know of a
few people who just capped the well and drilled a new (usually deeper)
one.  That may be an option for your friend.

Tony Harrison, RSO, MSPH
Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment
Laboratory and Radiation Services Division
tony.harrison@state.co.us

>>> thenry@viperlink.net 01/25/01 02:12PM >>>
A friend recently presented me some data from a private drinking water
well
(southeastern USA) that showed the following:

total uranium =     1490 ug/L
U-233/234 =     711 pCi/L
U-235/236 =     21.7 pCi/L
U-238        =  499 pCi/L
Radium-226 = 418 pCi/L

Obviously, these level exceed MCLs / risk-based activities.
My question: Is there any way possible these activities are related to
geologic formation?

Thanks
Henry

Thomas Henry Wood
Blue Ridge Environmental Consulting, Inc.
600 Highway 25 North
Travelers Rest, SC  29690
864-834-5513
thenry@viperlink.net