Re: Radionuclides in Groundwater

I think it is simply fundamentally the right thing to do.  Heck, IMO it is
better to spend money on that than to subsidize insurance for people to
build ocean-front homes.

Several possible reasons I could quickly think of (I like 3 and 4 the best):
(1) Because it is of the utmost import that our government provide for and
protect the health of the populace.
(2) Because the potential health risk are real in these cases.
(3) Because it is less expensive to drill a new well than to pay the
life-long health care costs for children unknowingly exposed.
(4) Because use of such groundwater may cause unintended radiological hot
spots of soil contamination, if said water is used for (lawn) irrigation
purposes.
(5) Because the federal government has documented (most?) uranium-rich areas
across the country and maybe knew ingestion of GW from uranium-rich
formations could be harmful??
(6) Because most States do not require even a one-time well testing for
radionuclides and thereby afford different protection under the law for
people with wells versus people on water systems.
(6) Because the GW was contaminated 200-300 years ago when the State was
formed and therefore could be viewed as the  at least somewhat the States
responsibility.

Regards