RE: 10 CFR 20

Hi Daren,

I am not sure exactly what you question is, but I'll put my 2 cents worth in
here.  Prior to the change, termination letters, essentially an NRC Form-5,
had to be sent to monitored workers and the NRC within very tight time
constraints.  For power plants with our outages, that involved a lot of
paper shuffling in a short time frame.  The NRC only got monitoring
information for the "migrant" nuclear workforce since our regular employees
didn't get these termination letters.  The revision to 10CFR20 did a couple
of things, that in my opinion as a licensee, simplified that whole process.
First, all monitored workers get a yearly notification of their radiation
exposure via an NRC Form-5, and the immediate term letters were no longer
longer required unless requested.  Second, the NRC gets a compacted version
of that information at the same time.  It includes all monitored workers and
is in a format that allows easy migration to REIRS, the NRC informational
database for radiation exposure information.  For most licensees, creating
this involves the press of a button.  All in all, from a Dosimetry reporting
standpoint, the revision to 10CFR20 actually streamlined our process.

Hope this sheds some light.

Linda

Linda M. Sewell, CHP
Diablo Canyon Power Plant