Re: Hormesis?

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Christoph Hofmeyr wrote:

> Radsafers,
> Forgive my bit of agitation/frustration/confusion.  On the one hand we have
> opinions, based on certain observations, and stated forcefully, that
> radiation (quite a bit) is potentially good for you, and on the other hand
> the assertion, based on other observations, that one gamma-photon or alpha
> may cause cancer.  Where on earth does the truth lie?

	--There is no inconsistency in these two statements. One particle
of radiation *may* initiate a cancer, but it also *does* stimulate
production of repair enzymes, stimulate the immune system, etc which may
protect against a cancer that was caused by something else. These two
effects have to be added to determine the result.