From: Emil Murat [mailto:kerrembaev@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 6:58 pm
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: "Smoking and FERMA's Theoreme" Analytical thinking about risks

Greetings,

Non smokers and former smokers who presently have been
"reborn" as non smoker but have..... a short memory.

Bjorn,
I am not sure you have previousely mentioned your
personal experience with smoking or not.
I assume you never "really" smoked.
I have been smoking for over 50% of my life-time.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for a person WHO did not REALLY smoke
to understand a smoker(Period)
So I will not even try to explain the nature of the
addiction to you.
I will just give some feed back from the OTHER side.
So NON smokers could related in some or other way and
FORMER smokers could refresh their short memories...

I will try to make some comparison between smoking and
"moving the science".

You wrote:

I know a lady who is
very organized in the kitchen and easily can handle
alone a lunches and
dinners day after day for 60 people - doing everything
efficiently - knows
exactly where things are and has a built in timer
about everything - but she
also smokes heavily (hypothesis: "Smoking makes you
organized...").

1. Well.... you are absolutely right!
Smoking indeed does make her..... organized!

You wrote:

One day while taking a cigarette she looks at me and
says "smoking can't be
dangerous - what do you think?" (she had heard that I
am involved in cancer
research - she is out in the countryside far away from
any academic
institutions).....
I don't remember the details of the lecture I gave but
it was
probably a brief comment like "try to cut down on the
smoking - it is good
for you" but I asked myself: "What is the problem
here?

2. Let me try to explain where is the problem.

I think, she was just polite with you.
She is not....that ill informed as you think.
You see, some of us smokers feel needs to explain OUR
reasons. So some of us do a little bit of "people
pleasing" for..... a reason or without one.

3. I see NO Reason to explain why I DO smoke to any
one but my self. She is:......
Quote:  "she is out in the countryside far away from
any academic
institutions)...."
The country side people are more hesitant than city
people.
I am from the city.

Smoking is STILL LEGAL and that is it.(PERIOD).
There are many "my company is my farm", "my town is...",
"my state is....." aggressive actions toward smokers in
some countries. But it always was/is/will be that some
people in a "locality" think that they are the center
of the universe. They make all those "sounded
restrictions" for a REASON or NOT.

I am surprised that you as an oncology researcher and
others can NOT just ACCEPT the fact that WE Y'all
HUMANS and WE Y'all have ADDICTIONS.

Do you know how many people have LOST their MINDS,
health and some times LIVES  by trying to discover
something new in science? How is this for the subject
of a new epidemiological study? How about studying
effects on our selves for a change instead of studying
effects on others?

The story with "Pi" determination is coming into my
mind from the history. That poor guy had lost his
vision in the pursue. How is THAT for an addiction?

More of the examples:
Numerous tries to straight out the FERMA's Theorem.
I have one in my family.....My brother did NOT lost
his life nor mind BUT in pursue of the THEOREM, he
over estimated his abilities....and did some very
useless steps. So I guess, this subject is more
personal than I thought in the beginning.

How many people had shorten their lives because they
had pursued a scientific goal and did not take care of
their personal health and family welfare?

Well... WE can say it is for the MONUMENTAL/NOBEL
reasons to do the progress, to make...... better
life..

To me, that SMOKING lady is doing the same.

She is moving progress with her well organized work.

And her habit is in the same way is an addiction as
any
WORKOHOLIC scientist's habit "to move progress".

Would we have this subscriber's list if those
programmers in 70's and 80's could not SMOKE while
they were developing COMPUTER science?
Majority of them indeed were SMOKERS.

To see smoker's addiction different from "to do the
science" is WRONG from the independent scientific
point of view.

To see those two addictions differentely would be
may be more socially acceptable and may bring some
money
for continuing research...

It is....
...sort of a "politic-o-social" scientific point of
view........

History had many, many of those examples when
Societies for their FEARFUL reasons(xenophobia,
Christen-o-phobia, Moslem-o-phobia, Red-o-phobia,
Capitalist-o-phobia, American-o-phobia,
Chechen-o-phobia, homophobia, Spanish-o-phobia,
Asian-o-phobia, warm weather-o-phobia, cold
weather-o-phobia etc.) marginalized/separated people
then corner and attack the MINORITY!

However,

I have NOT heard of ANYTHING similar in actions, from
the SMOKERS in the past when NON smokers were in the
MINORITY, at least it wasn't at the working
environments. Look at all that
Psychological pressing, questions on job interviews.....
and all other  B.S......It is sort of....
Bunch of signs " ONLY for NON SMOKERS"

In nowadays, to me, some people just are trying to
cover their personal health or other concern by
PROJECTING IT on others. Others just doing what is
POLITICALLY correct.
I have been in places where it will be probably LEGAL,
someday..... to shoot a smoker on sight.....

It is really easy to see something irrational in
somebody's else behavior.
But it is much harder to see IT in OURSELVES.

Regards,

Emil.

P.S. I have not mentioned some TV Propagandas using
some indeed very sick people.
And those who are saying: "How those companies could
do THAT to me!!!" They did not tell me that tabaco is
addicted......Hello...Is everything what bad for you
should be told in the EXACT words.
How about little bit of PERSONAL responsibility?
SMOKING is an addicted habit been known for very LONG
time by smokers themselves. May be it was known from
the times when Columbus crews brought TOBACO and a
some other STUFF to the Europe.
Every smoker can see effects of smoking on their
personal condition. Nobody is forcing to continue.
IT is the CHOICE. And
It is all about....... the money.
The question where do all those monies GO?
Anti smoking education...improven the roads....?
How about to give back some of those HUGE
(100-...2000%) taxes to those who paied them?
Why NOT?
Well because many goverments would not survive
economicaly with out using addictions of their own
people. So examples of that in....to be continue.

You wrote:

How can anyone avoid
all the information about smoking and health hazards?"
. Part of the answer
is of course that we have different sources of
information - another part is
probably about selective intake & perception of
information. I have met
people who say that they never read any newspaper
article that contains
numbers (I doubt that this is true for certain
sports), "strange units" or
graphs & diagrams.My personal ideas and reflections
only,Bjorn Cedervall