Unidentified Device

I am trying to find some information about a device containing radioactive material that was found in a closet in our hospital.  The device looks like an old movie camera (about the size of a cam-corder before the compact models).  It is a Spectra Pritchard Photometer made by Photo Research Corp. Hollywood, CA.

It has a label sying that it contains 50 uCi of C-14.  Model 252(s)B4.  Serial Number 53532.  Mfg date 6/18/65.

It was apparently something used in Opthamaology (was found in an Opthamologist closet - who is gone).  There was also a light source and something that looked like a power supply as part of this.

I am interested in finding out about the source.  We would rather remove the source from this unit for disposal rather than pay for disposal of the entire camera.  If anyone knows about this I would like to know if the source is a foil, a pellet, or some sort of powder before I take it apart.  I suspect it would be some sort of foil source.

I have not found any information on the company on the internet.  Also, the radioactive label says it was manufactured under a general license issued by the California State Department of Public Health.  I have placed a call to them and was only able to leave a message so far.

Thanks for your help,

Joey Michael
mailto:joey-michael@uiowa.edu
University of Iowa