Sampling using summay data

Yes, Ted,

It is in the math.  I didn't realize Prof. Cohen performed statistical
sampling when choosing which house to test in a given area?  I thought the
data set came from individuals who wanted to test for radon becasue of
health concerns or thought they may be living in a high radon area. I wonder
if people who have increased concern about their health would have lower
cancer rates?

You can add large numbers and get very small error bars, but how do you know
the data is representative.  Are the summary samplings a statistically valid
sampling and can it be used in a realistic fashion for risk analysis?  It
can be compared to the EPA sampling, but even the EPA's almost nationwide
sampling was never intended for risk analysis.

You also say,

To collect the individual data would take a national level government
>funded mandatory program.  And very few of us would want to pay the
>taxes that would cost nor tolerate that level of intrusion into out
>private lives.  I wouldn't!  Maybe in a more totalitarian state this
>could be done.

It has been done in studies already performed by Darby, Wichman, Fields,
Alavanja, and others.

Harry

harryhinks@hotmail.com