OTTO is not Exposed, he's CONCEALED!

OTTO asks:

>What does it mean to be "CONCEALED"? Are the rest of us "EXPOSED"? What
are
>we "EXPOSED" to? Am I exposed?
>How would I know?

Otto is set to CONCEALED.

By sending various queries to the program that runs the list, one can
get limited data about the list membership  back:
For example this is a snippet of output from the STATISTICS -A command
which shows only data for exposed members.

Address                                                          # of
posts
========Snip============
SANDSTROM@UME.FOA.SE                             6
SANDYFL@EARTHLINK.NET                           1116
SARAH_HAYES@STUDENT.UML.EDU             8
SBA@IGCAR.ERNET.IN                                     1
SBACKURZ@DHHS.STATE.NH.US                    2
SBD@CO.DISP.MINDEF.NL                               15
========Snip============

A CONCEALED member will not show up in this list. The use I suppose is
that you can join the list and if you never post, no one except the
moderator can tell that your subscribed. So I guess that the 2225
concealed members are all part of the Iraq and North Korean nuclear
weapons programs who don't wish to be identified..... Otto???    ;-)

I won't bother with the details of changing your settings as the list is
moving to a new host and it may have different options.

Chuck Cooper
Dir. EH&S
Portland State University